Pure bred GSD in danger of being PTS and in need of immediate assistance

Moderator: prinzsalpha

Animal rescue in WA forced to close.

Postby KellyF » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:08 pm

This is a cross post from another forum:

Hi everyone.
Sad news today- the multi species animal rescue I've worked at for years and years is closing our doors. The 8 acre farm on Bainbridge Island (in NW Washington) has been in financially unstable ground for YEARS, but we've always been able to scrape along and feed the 4 legged (sometimes only 3 legged!) kids. Not anymore. The farm has been foreclosed. The bank has been gracious enough to let us stay for sometime now, as trying to sell a 'farm' property without animals is not easy. We are out of money.

Furrytale Farms is home to 13 potbelly pigs, 4 horses (ok, one is a draft mule), around 10 mostly senior dogs, and 2 senior kittys. The horses are all over 25 years old... up to 30+ (we think she's around 34) No one is sound, all are reasonably healthy (considering the age factor) The dogs range from a couple young dogs we hope to get adopted out, to our senior residents. As a no-kill shelter, we've ended up with lots of seniors over the years. (Ex: 14 yr old Dal, 15 yr old chow mix, just lost our 17 yr old golden)

Does anyone live in the northwest that can give one of our wonderful seniors a home? Or, do you know of any rescues that may be willing to help? We REALLY do not want to have to euthanize these kids, or send them to the local humane society (where they will be PTS)

http://www.furrytalefarm.org

Thanks guys.
I'm loosing a lot of sleep thinking about the horses. I don't know anyone who's willing to take on lame seniors, coming into winter.... these horses are so full of life still.

For more information about the rescue and it's residents, contact Kelly Byrd at turnnburn52984@hotmail.com

Please pass this along, as these animals all deserve loving and safe homes.

Thank you,

Kel and Drift
Image is hidden from guests, please register and login to view it

Chasidy vom Leerburg CGC, TDI
KellyF

Re: Animal rescue in WA forced to close.

Postby prinzsalpha » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:08 pm

Geez...this is the second rescue I know that is closing in Washington. That doesnt make things any easier for the dogs who need rescue desperately.

Maureen
White Paws GSD Rescue
In-Take Coordinator
http://www.whitepawsgsr.com
prinzsalpha

Postby KellyF » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:28 pm

Just posted yesterday:

We got the official notice today- the farm is SOLD. We have 30 days to vacate. Or what, I'm not exactly sure, but the new owner is a hog farmer and intends to tear down fencing and buildings in 30 days. So we've got our written in stone deadline now.

Furrytale was featured on the local news channel. Komo 4. Seattle Washington. It's not online yet, but I'll post a link to it when I find it.

We've got homes for 7 pigs, 0 horses, 5 kittens (0 cats, though) and several young and old dogs. Still have many 'adoptable' doggys, and a couple high quality seniors around. I'm stressing about the horses.

This is heartbreaking. I wish there was more I could do....
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Kel

KellyF

Postby prinzsalpha » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:24 am

Not everyone will know whats going on so I would start checking if any all breed rescues would be willing to take the dogs. Crosspost far and wide in Washington and the surrounding states. Its amazing what rescue people can do with the sole mind of saving dogs.
I am from Wisconsin also....small world eh?

Maureen
White Paws GSD Rescue
In-Take Coordinator
prinzsalpha

Postby NarysDad » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:24 am

Are the animals all at your place in Wisc.?
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" == Winston Churchill

URL is hidden from guests, please register and login to view the hyperlink

Narys Policia ZVV1
Faust Cierna Vdova ZVV1
NarysDad

Postby KellyF » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:20 pm

None of the animals are with me, Chuck. I just happen to share a first name with one of the amazing ladies trying to find homes for all of the critters.

This is the latest update that I have seen on the animals (posted yesterday morning 10/11/10):

We have POSSIBLE, last resort homes for the 4 horses. (Niece of an employee of the farm... but I'm not entirely sure she realizes what feeding 4 senior horses through the winter really entails. Senior horses DO NOT have to be skinny and gross looking, and these guys never have)

Still have 2 indoor outdoor cats, who have no interest shown in them so far. 11 & 14 yrs old.

We found a home for the 14yr old Dal, who we had almost given up on. He's a wreck- fatty tumors, bladder stones, no protein diet, has accidents.... we were prepared to Euth him. BUT, some who has 6 rescue dal's saw us on the news, and showed up unannounced to take him home! Best surprise EVER!
Still have 5 pigs needing home
As far as doggys we are down to
Sadie (11yr old chow mix, just a love)
Moses (5-7 yr Collie/Husky, silly silly dog)
Nanook (11+ Malamute, lots of health issues)
Saki (14+ Chow mix, another one with lots of health problems)
Rufus (1 yr old Min pin-Chi mix)
Ella (4ish yr old Beagle/Shep mix, cute!!!)
Josie (1yr old Beagle Shep mix)

So we've made a lot of progress, but still have several animals.... Sigh.

There are pics of all the animals on their facebook page. If you want to look them up they are The FurryTale Farm. If you want to know more about a specific animal you can contact Kelly Byrd at turnnburn52984@hotmail.com
Last edited by KellyF on Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KellyF

Postby prinzsalpha » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:26 pm

Thanks for keeping us updated !!

Maureen
White Paws GSD Rescue
In-Take Coordinator
prinzsalpha

Postby KellyF » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:19 pm

I am not sure if this will work or not, but this is the link to the most current animals needing homes.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=245905&id=93176559157

Come on guys, can we find homes for these poor souls? Tell everyone you know, and have them tell everyone they know.

Thanks,

Kel

KellyF

Postby NarysDad » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:36 pm

Thanks for the update Kelly. I thought all these were in Wisc. now.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life" == Winston Churchill

URL is hidden from guests, please register and login to view the hyperlink

Narys Policia ZVV1
Faust Cierna Vdova ZVV1
NarysDad

Postby jodid » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Have you checked with Pasado's Safe Haven? Contact them, they may be able to help! http://www.pasadosafehaven.org/
jodid

Next
Forum Statistics